You can take a child out of the streets, but you can't take the streets out of a child.
- Patrick McDoanld, VIVA Network
Street children are some of the most at-risk people on the planet, vulnerable to disease, exploitation and abuse. That's where Pavement Project began, and where the heart of the program is still - working with children and young people on the streets, formerly on the streets or in institutions.
- Pavement Project was developed by child psychology/trauma specialists over four years and is delivered by trained workers.
- This Lifewords initiative partners with hundreds of organisations (large and small) to train workers in a Bible-based counselling tool that specifically addresses children's self worth. 90% of children who go through the counselling show a demonstrable improvement in their self worth.
- Changing the way young people think about themselves changes everything. We have tracked results over time, carried out long-term case studies, and gathered feedback from hundreds of organisations working with young people. We know that as children are given the change to talk about what has happened to them, and as they hear Bible stories that speak directly to their hurt emotions - healing comes. And that healing produces long-term change.
- Pavement Project has been working with traumatised children and young people since 2000. Over 30,000 young people have been through the programme, in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, DRC, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, India, Indonesia, the Phillipines, Sri Lanka, and Egypt.
There is urgent need in the Middle East, and in South and Central America. We have partners ready to use Pavement Project in Haiti, Dominican Republic, Chile, Iraq, and Lebanon. We need to provide 110 tablets and 260 new green bags, in order to train new partners. If you or your church can help sponsor a tablet (£50) or bag (£75), please get in touch. We would love to tell you more about the different Pavement Project (and your gift) can make to children's lives. Thank you!